It’s almost the 4th of the July and that means you probably have a weekend filled with picnics and other outdoor activities. To celebrate in the ABG Capital office, we had a Staff Appreciation Ice Cream Party yesterday! It was a great way help all of our employees get ready for the holiday weekend.
On the ABG Capital blog this week, we featured a post on startups and the insurance needed to protect them. There are many different insurance options available for business owners. Before you pick one, you need to do the proper research and make sure you get a plan that fits all of your business’s needs.
Next week we’ll be sticking with the insurance theme but we’ll be looking at small business health insurance options. You may be small, but you can provide benefits just like the big boys. Although every company’s situation is unique, we’ll offer you some alternatives that are worth exploring.
Now for the most exciting part of the Just another Friday at ABG Capital blog post; your Biggest Losers Challenge updates! We concluded Week 5 of the challenge and things are going great for everyone so far. As you know, each week we have a mini challenge for our participants. This week we ask everyone to do something different to change up their exercise routine. This could be doing some kickboxing, trying a new machine at the gym or doing a Zumba class. What’s a new exercise that you could see yourself trying out? Tell us in the comments section below!
We also have a great 4th of July Survival Guide to help you stay on track with your health and wellness goals, even when you have a weekend of picnics planned. Sticking to these strategies will allow you enjoy your party time while staying healthy.
When you accept an invitation to a summer barbecue ask the host what will be served and what you can bring. This way, you can make a game plan about which foods you will indulge in. It also gives you the opportunity to bring something healthy. Try one of these simple recipes:
At the party, look at everything that’s being offered first, then just have a few items that look too good to pass up. If potato salad is your thing, take a scoop and enjoy it, and skip the less appealing-to-you macaroni salad. Don’t waste calories on so-so sweets or treats you can get any time of year.
Get a little more protein
Dietary protein helps control appetite, which ultimately keeps weight in check. Look for lean proteins such as grilled chicken breast or shrimp or three-bean salad, which gets an extra make-you-full boost from fiber. Fill about one-quarter of your plate with lean protein.
Pile on the produce
You should be eating nine servings of vitamin-packed fruits and vegetables daily. That’s easy at a barbecue if you focus on summer salads, grilled vegetables, and prepared fruit plates. Load up on naturally low-calorie, low-fat produce; it should take up at least half your plate.
Be smart about alcohol
When drinking alcohol, alternate libations with water. You’ll pace yourself and cut down on all the empty calories and sugar that tend to be in summer cocktails.
Take a seat
Rather than picking and grazing, head over to a picnic table or sit down in the grass when you eat. Practice mindful eating. If you eat something distractedly, it doesn’t register, so you’ll be less satisfied and you’ll reach for more.
Relax a little!
Shooting for all healthy, all the time is a great way to fail. Allow yourself some leeway, and you’re guaranteed to have more fun and feel better. Eighty percent of the time, do 80 percent of the things that are healthy for you. During the other 20 percent, let go a little and enjoy a small portion of your favorite foods.
We even have a great recipe Chips and Dip recipe to share with you. We’re sure that other party-goers will love this treat.
Vegetable Chips & Dip
Home on the Range Dressing
2 cups raw cashews
1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/4 cups water (or to taste for desired consistency)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons raw agave nectar or raw honey
1/3 cup chopped red onion
3 small garlic cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried dill
In a high-speed blender, combine cashews, oil, lemon juice, water, vinegar, agave, onion, garlic, and sal,t and blend until creamy. Add basil and dill and quick-blend until you see little flecks of green. (This creates added flavor for the eyes.) Do not overblend. Serve immediately as a dressing or dip.
Dressing thickens once chilled. Add additional water to thin it out. Makes 35 ounces.
Wash and cut romaine crosswise into thirds. (This will give you 3-inch romaine chips, perfect for dipping.)
Display chips in a large bowl, set out your dressing, and watch guests enjoy a fun salad in disguise as their favorite comfort food.
Thanks for visiting the ABG Capital blog for another Just another Friday at ABG. Have a fun and safe 4th of July!Tweet